Oxford Basin facelift will go forward in Marina del Rey
Coastal Commission approves $11-million plan to refurbish key Marina del Rey flood control parcel for public recreation
From the Argonaut, By Gary Walker, June 26, 2014:
An $11-million renovation plan for the Oxford Retention Basin in Marina del Rey cleared its final government-approval hurdle this month with a June 13 green light from the California Coastal Commission.
Los Angeles County officials aim to transform the currently fenced-off flood control basin along Admiralty Way into more of an urban recreation area, adding nature observation decks, wildlife-friendly lighting, low-height decorative fencing and a circular bicycle and foot path wending two-thirds of a mile around the manmade salt marsh lagoon.
The project was approved last year by the L.A. County Board of Supervisors and landscaping work is slated to begin in the fall, Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Works spokesman Kerjon Lee said.
The 12-member commission voted unanimously to grant a work permit for the upgrades but attached several conditions, including that the county make efforts to minimize construction noise that could impact herons and egrets as well as inspection, biological surveys and monitoring of the basin. The commission also ordered the county to work with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and insisted the county follow through on plans to landscape with native, drought-tolerant plants.
County officials plan to dredge approximately 6,700 cubic yards of sediment from the 7.3-acre parcel as part of a larger goal of reducing storm water runoff pollution and improving flood protections. Public Works project manager Hannah Koo said previously that a biologist will be onsite during construction and will monitor any impacts to wildlife.
Click below for larger renderings:
Article source: http://argonautnews.com/oxford-basin-facelift-will-go-forward/